Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Disneyana Collector Summer 1982


Back in the summer of 1982, on our second family trip to Walt Disney World, I picked up a free copy of The Disneyana Collector at the Disneyana Collectibles shop on Main Street. This was the premiere issue Volume 1 Number 1. I remember walking down the street toward Cinderella Castle with my head looking straight down reading away, oblivious to all the hustle and bustle all around me. Although it only had four pages, I found it interesting and exciting to read, to discover that people collected Disney stuff...all sorts of Disney stuff. Who knew?

As the years went by, I had always wondered where my souvenir had gone. Well, about a year ago, I found it in a box of stuff I had stored away. Of course, I immediately started where I had left off those roughly 30 years ago.


The articles are brief, but, still interesting. There are two things that especially caught my attention. In the first article, the author talks about collecting "candy wrappers, soaps, bread wrappers, bottle caps, children's hankies". In other words...EPHEMERA!


Then, in the 'Collector Profile' section, Bernie Shine hits a home run when he says, "To me it's not gold, to hoard, or merchandise, to sell...Collecting is an enthusiasm to be shared."

Oh, and one last thing. Check out the price for a yearly subscription of 4 issues...$1!!!

NOTE: In case you are wondering what that stain is at the bottom of the pages...well, when I stored this item, as well as other Disney items, many years ago, I also stored a half empty bottle of cologne on top of them. Lets just say the bottle is now empty. As Stan Lee would say, 'Nuff Said'.

No comments:

Post a Comment